Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Michigan

My husband divorced me and left me with a mortgage and bills to pay on my own. I lost the home and I filed for bankruptcy without a lawyer. Prior doing so I put my home worth about 6k and auto worth 5k( checked to see what like items sold for) in a family members name. In return they allowed me to stay at their home. They travel and need someone to be at their home. I chose to stay at their home while they travel ( out of the usa) because my home is in an unsafe area, and I feel safer in their home, I told the court that I gave them the auto and home in exchange but didn't change the names on the items when we exchanged a year ago. I changed the names prior filing bankruptcy. The court sent me an advasary complaint.

My question is "If my bankruptcy is closed, Will the advasary complaint close? Will I be able to refile bankruptcy if allowed to put the auto and home back in my name? I need my home because they need their home. I also need my auto to go to the doctor monthly and run other errands. They understand, will the court understand?

Thank you in advance,

Asked on 3/28/13, 7:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Schneider Charles Schneider, P.C.

It is not the court's job to understand and dispense sympathetic rulings. If that were the case we should not bother with any laws. Unfortunately, it is to enforce the law. It is hard to say from your confusing recitation of facts, but it sounds like you fraudulently transferred property on the eve of bankruptcy. You need an attorney and should never have commenced the case yourself.

Read more
Answered on 3/28/13, 5:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Michigan