Legal Question in Elder Law in Michigan

My husband and I have been the sole caregivers for my single aunt for over 5 years. She is now in an independent living facility and has the resources to pay her living expenses. I am handling all of her financial needs, paying her bills, taxes, as well as maintaining her home which is paid for. As we devote a tremendous amount of time caring for her needs, it was suggested that we should be reimbursed or at least be keeping track of time spent caring for her. We live in Michigan.

Asked on 2/24/14, 1:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glenn Matecun Matecun, Thomas & Olson, PLC

Be extremely careful with this as it could affect future Medicaid eligibility if she needs nursing home care. Caregiver agreements must meet specific requirements. Lump sum retroactive payments are not allowed. Your services now that she is in an assisted living community are likely combining caregiving and bookkeeping, which further confuses the issue. If you would like to call me at toll-free (888) 487-6150 we can talk about the details.

Read more
Answered on 2/25/14, 3:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Michigan