Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

What legal right does my son have to his son if he didn' sign the birth certificate

Asked on 9/26/09, 5:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brad Aldrich Aldrich Legal Services

If your son was not married to the mother at the time of the birth and your son does not appear as the father on the birth certificate, then he needs to file a lawsuit in the Circuit Court to establish paternity. Once paternity is established, which is either through mother agreeing or genetic testing, then the Court would have to resolve the issues of custody, support and visitation. Until paternity is established in a Court of Law your son has no legal rights to that child. Aldrich Legal Services specializes in Family Law, along with Probate, Real Estate and Bankruptcy matters. If you believe that we could be of service please visit our website at or call me, Brad Aldrich, directly at (734) 404-3000 for a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 10/02/09, 3:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan