Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

I will be giving birth to my child here in Michigan before I am married to the child's father. I do not want the father listed on the original birth certificate and am choosing for the child to take my last name. Can this be altered after marriage? What happens to the original birth certificate?

Asked on 2/03/10, 2:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stuart Collis Collis, Griffor & Hendra, PC

I do not know from the way that you ask your question whether the father of your child is going to be your spouse. Names are tricky at best but since you are not married, you can name as you choose.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/10, 3:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan