Legal Question in Immigration Law in Michigan

My boyfriend is in jail for child support. He has been paying, but not enough. He is from Scotland and has been here for well over 20 yrs. Can he be deported for child support?

Asked on 7/03/12, 5:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian D. Lerner Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A Professional Corporation


If he has no legal status, he can be put into deportation proceedings.

Removal/Deportation Representation

It is critically important that you get qualified and expert representation for the deportation/removal hearings. The Government will try to get the deportation issued. Neither the Immigration Judge, nor the Trial Attorney are there to help you. There are different forms of relief available which could result the granting of Lawful Permanent Residence. However, this requires large applications to be prepared and the necessity to prepare for trial. My firm has done this for several years, and if done properly, there is a very reasonable chance that it will be successful. If not done properly, the deportation order will be issued and your current way of living in the United States will end and you will either be on the run or be forcibly removed from the United States. 


Read more
Answered on 8/12/12, 11:14 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Michigan