Legal Question in Juvenile Dependency in Michigan

17 year old

What are legal rights of 17 year old son moving out of house and living with questionable friends in Michigan? Where can I find info regarding this and what a parent can and can't do about it?

Asked on 7/17/07, 9:30 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Renee Walsh LawRefs Nonprofit

Re: 17 year old

Can a 17 year old leave home without permission? No. If the individual is under age 18, they are a “minor”. MCL 722.1. The age of majority in Michigan is 18. MCL 722.52. A child can leave home with permission, however, it is still the parents obligation to support their minor children unless the court modifies or terminates the obligation via a petition for emancipation, or the minor is emancipated by operation of law. MCL 722.3.

For additional information, I wrote a blog entry about this on my website which can be found under the Juvenile category heading.

(Please do not rely on this communication which does not create an attorney-client relationship and which is intended merely as a discussion of legal principles and is not to be relied upon.)

If you have further questions or concerns, or desire more specific information, please contact me at

Read more
Answered on 7/17/07, 11:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Juvenile Dependency questions and answers in Michigan