Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Michigan

I have lost my house deed. I bought it on land contract back in 1996 and paid it off in 60 months. I have been paying property taxes ever since. I went to the adminstrative office to get a copy and they say they don't have it on file. They said to get a copy from the person I purchased the house from. The guy I purchased it from wants us to pay him $300 for a copy. Is this legal? Or is there another way we can obtain our house deed?

Asked on 10/08/12, 3:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC

If it has been recorded, you can get a copy from the county. I'm assuming you got it when you paid it off of the land contract? If not, the seller owes you one for free.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/12, 8:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Michigan