I got a ticket on 75 coming up to troy from dtw airport. when the officer pulled me over he said my car was veering to the right but i had no idea that my car was even moving to the right. he gave me a ticket for improper lane usage but i have no idea what that even is. i did take the car into a tire store to be tested and the did tell me my car did need an alignment, the right side was pulling. what can i tell the judge because ive looked up improper la ne usage and nothing that i was doing fits into that category . please help me!!
2 Answers from Attorneys
There is no acceptable legal excuse or defense to not having your vehicle in proper working order. The sudden emergency doctrine is applicable in rare circumstances (tire blow out etc.) but not on these facts. I routinely handle these matters and in many cases can guarantee a no point violation without you ever stepping foot in a courtoom. Locate my contact number and I would be glad to discuss this matter with you.
1. Get an alignment and keep your receipt. (Actually, your bad alignment is not a defense.)
2. Ask for a formal (not informal) hearing.
3. Either attend the hearing or get a lawyer - your personal appearance is not required.
4. If you have a decent driving record you should be able to get a no-point and a no-report (to the Secretary of State) offense.
5. You will pay a fine (about $150).
Related Questions & Answers
How can I fight my license being suspended for excessive points? Asked 6/20/13, 9:32 pm in United States Michigan Traffic Law
I hit a stop sign and didn't report it right away. How should I plea? Asked 6/18/13, 8:21 am in United States Michigan Traffic Law
I was involved in a hit and run have not been arrested noone was hurt from what I... Asked 6/16/13, 7:06 pm in United States Michigan Traffic Law