Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

I have a 14 year old, who wants to change high schools, and go to the one by my house. She does not want to see her dad anymore, because he is always gone, and he is abusing prescription medications, and alcohol. what would happen if she "ran away" to my home? As long as I kept her in school, in my district, and provided her basic needs, and told him he could still see her on his scheduled days, do you think this could be a problem for me?

Asked on 9/22/14, 8:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

You raise multiple issues, the most urgent of which is safety and welfare concerns for the child. 911 is to be phoned should a child be in immediate sort of danger. One or more police welfare checks may be requested. Child protective services is to be contacted. I urge you to confer privately with an experienced family law attorney so she may assist you with the issues. Your attorney will want to review the existing court order, if any. Tricia Dwyer Esq ph 612-296-9666 Minnesota Child Custody & Parenting Time Attorneys Minnesota Family Law Mediator Minnesota Child Endangerment Law, Minnesota Chemical Dep. - Alcohol. - Legal Issues. Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Read more
Answered on 9/22/14, 9:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota