Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

I have a very important question concerning my sister-on-law and her son.

My sister-in-law has openly admitted to myself, my husband and my mother-in-law that her uses the drug Heroine, as does her boyfriend and maybe her husband as well. She has an 8 year old son who has severe Autism, he cannot talk at all. I fear for his safety because of the drug use, the lack of food in the apartment, and the unstable parenting he is living with. The father works overnights, leaving the mother and her boyfriend to watch him all night and part of the day while the father sleeps, while they are using the drugs. The mother and boyfriend had been kicked out of the building before for drug use and stealing, I have contacted the manager of the building but it does nothing as they sneak back into the building again. I am contacting you because I am very concerned for my nephew's safety, I strongly believe this is a form of abuse and neglect towards the child. What should I do? I feel like I should call the police but don't know what to say or do, my mother-in-law has tried talking to my sister-in-law but it has done nothing. I feel bad saying something, but my nephew's safety is more important and if something happened to him I would feel responsible for not doing something. Please help.

Asked on 8/02/11, 1:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nathan Hansen Nathan M. Hansen, Attorney at Law

You should contact Child Protective Services in your county. This sounds like a serious case.

Read more
Answered on 8/02/11, 1:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota