Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

appear by phone

I live in Colorado and my husband filed for divorce in scott county Minnesota, I cannot afford to go to Minnesota and cannot afford an attorney, is there a motion I can file to appear by phone? My court date is 07-11-07, can you please help me?

Asked on 5/09/07, 4:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Jesperson Minnesota Lawyers - Jesperson Law Offices

Re: appear by phone

I just received your question regarding a "long distance" divorce.

I do not have enough information about the status of your proceeding to offer a great deal of assistance. It is not clear to me whether the hearing on July 11 is for a "temporary motion," or to proceed by default. I would also need to know whether you have minor children (and if so, where they live), whether you have property in Minnesota and/or Colorado, how long you have been married, whether you are each employed, how long you have been separated, etc.

Assuming for the moment that you do not have children or any substantial property in either state, and assuming the hearing is not to proceed by default, then you can request an opportunity to appear by phone. You must typically make this request in writing and, for the most part, the judge who has the calendar on that date must decide whether to permit you to appear by phone. Again, however, without knowing much more about the status of the proceedings and some of the facts, I cannot offer a great deal of guidance.

Depending on the issues involved, it may be worth your while to hire a lawyer, even if you think you are unable to afford an attorney at this time. If child support, spousal maintenance or property issues are at stake, the cost of a lawyer may be a good investment.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions. My contact information is below.

Read more
Answered on 5/09/07, 9:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota