Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Minnesota

Avoid being responsible for someone getting injured on my property

Hi, I just bought a house which has a Rainbow play set(swing & slide). The neighbors kids are playing on this set. I don't want to be held responsible if they get hurt, and I don't want to be an unfriendly neighbor who tell those parents that their kids can no longer play in my yard.

What is your advise? Keep the kids out of my yard anyway. Or write up a consent form which states that the parents are acknoledged, and I will not be held responsible in any circumstance and make the parents sign it? If I do the consent form, how would I word it? What areas do I need to cover?

Thank you in advance!

Asked on 4/17/06, 3:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Vincent W. King Vincent W. King, PA

Re: Avoid being responsible for someone getting injured on my property

As a parent of three (mostly) grown kids, I've been there with several rickety play houses and tree houses and scads of neighbor kids crawling over them, all of whom more or less survived. Personally, I think trying to get a disclaimer would make you pariahs in the neighborhood. This is one area where we can draw a line on our over-lawyered society! My advice: short of disassembling the play set...make sure you have plenty of homeowners' liability insurance, grit your teeth, smile, and make sure there are lots of healthy snacks at your house!

Standard disclaimer: The comments above are based on limited facts and should not be considered legal advice (boy, that's sure true on this one!). We do not have an attorney-client relationship.

Read more
Answered on 4/17/06, 8:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Minnesota