Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Minnesota

I was the owner of a vehicle that was involved in an accident which caused property damage. I was not driving and the person driving did not have permission to drive. I did not have insurance at the time of the accident. The driver was charged with a DWI and was ordered to pay restitution which he did not. I am being sued by the homeowner's insurance company for the property damage. I have opted to settle with the insurance company because they told me if a judgement is issued against me, they can have my driver's license suspended. I do not have a Minnesota driver's license; it is from Arizona. Is there a law in Minnesota which allows insurance companies to do this?

Asked on 12/05/13, 8:22 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Nathan Hansen Nathan M. Hansen, Attorney at Law

This fact pattern and law would have to be researched. You should consult an attorney and hire them to research this and give you an opinion.

Nathan Hansen


Read more
Answered on 12/06/13, 8:58 am
Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

You should confer with an attorney at this time so she/he can assist you and advise you. Fuller details need to be known in order to provide sound counsel to you. Tricia Dwyer Esq at 612-296-9666, Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC, Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney, Minnesota Insurance Law, Minnesota Traffic Law,

Read more
Answered on 12/13/13, 1:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Minnesota