Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Minnesota

Can I take my old landlord to court for the value of my rentals rebate because he will not give them to me? My rent was paid for that year.

Asked on 2/01/13, 8:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sam Calvert Calvert Law Office

From the Minn. Dept. of Revenue website:

Rent Paid Affidavit (RPA)

If your landlord refuses to give you a CRP by March 1 – or gives you an incorrect CRP and refuses to correct it – you may request a Rent Paid Affidavit (RPA) from the Department of Revenue.

Before requesting an RPA, you should make every attempt to obtain a correct CRP from your landlord. When you file a Property Tax Refund return with an RPA, you can’t file electronically and must include receipts and/or canceled checks as proof of rent paid.

Note: To file electronically, you must have a correct CRP from your landlord. If you’ve requested an RPA from the department, you must file Form M1PR on paper – even if you later receive a CRP from your landlord. This may delay processing of your return.

How to Get an RPA

To request an RPA, call our contact number listed above. You’ll need to provide all of the following information:

The landlord’s name, address and phone number

The address of the rental unit and the county where it’s located

Your name, present address and daytime phone number

Your Social Security number

Your spouse’s name and Social Security number

The number of renters in the unit, dates it was rented and amount of rent paid each month

If you receive rent subsidies (Section 8 or other rental assistance programs)

If the rental unit is an assisted living facility

Special Renter Situations

You may qualify for a renters refund if you: were a part-year resident; were married, separated or divorced during the year; lived in a mobile home, nursing home or adult foster care; sublet or used part of your home for a business; or paid rent on more than one unit for the same months.

Read more
Answered on 2/02/13, 1:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Minnesota