Legal Question in Legal Malpractice in Minnesota

Contracts and malpractice

A CPA does the day to day books and has billings to prove that. then he makes the owners sign an engagement letter that states all of the numbers he was given are not his but were given to him and he is not responsable if they are not happy with the books. If we can prove the books were done incorrectly by him on a day to day basis and then he took the same numbers and misstated the tax returns is the arbritration thing binding? now we cant take him to court even though the numbers used were his numbers that he put in?

Asked on 2/16/07, 7:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bradley Janzen Bradley R. Janzen, P.A.

Re: Contracts and malpractice

Your question is a bit confusing, however if your question is whether you can sue a CPA retained by you or your company for damages, i.e., provable damages, resulting from the CPA's negligence, the answer is yes. To fully protect yourself and to assure the facts will assembled in an orderly manner, I suggest you refrain from disclosing too many details of your case/matter in a public forum. You will probably wish to consult with a litigator/attorney who is also skilled in accounting. I have successfully represented individuals/organization in actions brought against accountants for malpractice. If you desire to confidentially discuss your matter further, I would be willing to provide you additional information.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/07, 10:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Malpractice Law questions and answers in Minnesota