Legal Question in Personal Injury in Minnesota

Police Officer lost accident report in which a pedestrian was injured by a bicyclist while lawfully crossing a crosswalk. This resulted in a head injury and a 911 call. The officer gave an accident report "receipt" with a case number to the pedestrian before she was taken away on an ambulance. Now the officer says she lost the cyclist's info and does not have to do the report as she was only doing it as a "favor". What can we do? Can we hold the police liable? Can we request phone recordings from the precinct's line where she confirmed some details of the accident and tried to mislead us into not pursuing the report or any reimbursement that may follow?

Asked on 10/28/12, 4:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

I suggest that you have a qualified attorney of your choosing assist you at this juncture. In my view, the attorney should provide you with a written agreement that specifically includes a clause that the attorney may 'investigate' the matter (because it is best practice for attorneys to work according to clear agreements that are made in writing). I suggest that you carefully choose your attorney, because attorney work is a personal service and you should feel a sense of comfort and trust with the attorney you choose to help you with this matter.


Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates, PLLC

St. Paul and Minneapolis and outlying areas to St. Cloud, limited legal assistance available regarding Minnesota legal issues

Phone 612-296-9666 every day of the year until 8pm daily

Read more
Answered on 10/28/12, 4:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Minnesota