Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Mississippi

Creditor sent statement after filing chapter 7

My husband and I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy November 13 and went to court December 22. Since then, on January 10, we received a notice from one of the credit card companies on the petition. They were demanding payment and threatening to go to a collection agency if I didn't pay. I also received an email letting me know that I had a payment due on this card. What should I do and who should I contact to make them stop contacting me?

Asked on 1/12/04, 3:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fred Wood Fred Wood & Associates LLC

Re: Creditor sent statement after filing chapter 7

You simply need to contact the atty who did your bankruptcy. They have an obligation to handle this for you. They write a letter to the creditor reminding them of your bankruptcy and demanding that contact cease. If the creditor keeps on your atty can file a contempt petition in Bankruptcy court. Most Bank. Judges will award substantial atty fees and some damages for you if creditors do this after being altered. You have to give them a chance to stop. Many times their left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Hope this helps.

Read more
Answered on 1/14/04, 12:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Mississippi