Legal Question in Criminal Law in Mississippi

How can this be proper ?

Last year my 21 year old son was arrested and charged with drug pocession.

He went before a judge to get his bond reduced at which time the judge released him to me with no bond in order that he attend a drug rehab program.

That was 14 months ago. He completed the rehab program, attended a good training school and got a very good job. He has had no futher problems with drugs.

This week we found that he has been bound over by the grand jury for the old drug charge. He was arrested and we had to post a 15,000 bond.

The problem here is that the same police officer who arrested him has since been terminated for drug related charges himself and cannot come into court to tesify.

Can this be proper ?

Asked on 11/14/02, 10:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jeffrey Padgett Padgett Law Firm, pllc

Re: How can this be proper ?

It appears that the quantity was high enough to be a felony in which case this would be possible. Going to rehab will be a benefit along with the arresting officer being terminated. A good defense attorney should be able to show the District Attorney why this would be a bad case to take to court. Find a local defense attorney immediately, and again ask for bond reduction for starters.

Read more
Answered on 11/14/02, 11:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Mississippi