Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Mississippi

Name Change

I was divorced in 1995. I want to return to the use of my own last name. I have changed everything back to my own last name except for my social security card. Social security will not change it unless accompanied by a court order. I am unable to afford an attorney to do it. Some of my official papers are in limbo until I get this last bit corrected. CAn you help? Thanks

Asked on 3/06/03, 6:28 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jeffery Navarro Jeffery M. Navarro, Attorney at Law

Re: Name Change

It is necessary to file a petition in your county's Chancery Court. Check with the MSB in Jackson for the pro bone project, or check with your local legal services for help.

Read more
Answered on 3/17/03, 1:52 pm

Heidi Milam Heidi S. Milam, Attorney at Law

Re: Name Change

You would need to file a petition in Chancery to change your last name. You may be able to get some help from the Chancery Court clerk in your county, otherwise you may have to find an attorney to help you.

Read more
Answered on 3/08/03, 11:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Mississippi