Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Mississippi

change of property deed

My grandmother died about 2 years ago. My mother was an only child and there was no will. The house and property deed is still in my deceased grandmothers name. How do my mother and I get the get the house and property deed put in my name. This is not contestested by my mother. She and I just do not know where to start.

Asked on 7/09/09, 7:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Albert Pettigrew Law Offices Ph 228-875-8736

Re: change of property deed

A deed from your mother to you will transfer whatever interest she has in it. However, there are important tax considerations to evaluate.

To have the court records show a chain of title from your grandmother to you, affidavits of heirship can be made and filed in the Chancery Court to preserve evidence that your mother was the sole heir. At some point in time, the title insurance companies may be satisfied with that. However, a suit to determine your mother's heirship may be necessary at some point.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/09, 11:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Mississippi