Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Missouri

Executor question

My brother is the executor of my mom's estate. We all lived in Missouri until recently when my brother moved to Mississippi. Someone told me that he must live in the same state to be the executor. Please tell me this isn't true. Thanks!

Asked on 6/13/07, 11:08 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Penny Umstattd-Cope The Umstattd-Cope Law Firm, LLC

Re: Executor question

It isn't true unless your brother cannot do the job needed from where he is. With today's technology, etc. an executor can be located in Euruope and still get the job done. Relax. Just make sure your brother does what needs to be done.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/07, 11:46 am

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Re: Executor question

In Missouri the executor is called a personal representative (PR). One can be a PR from out of state, but they must nae an in-state person to be the agent for service of process and mailing. Often this is the attorney represting the PR.

Good Luck

Read more
Answered on 6/13/07, 2:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Missouri