Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri


if i had no knowledge of a custody hearing or any other kind for that matter the state has taken custody and may b pursueing a case of abuse.i never have and never would hurt my children but i do have prior charges of assault against the mom which raises extreme concern! please help?! what could or should i do to remedy the situation?!

Asked on 5/19/07, 9:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Penny Umstattd-Cope The Umstattd-Cope Law Firm, LLC

Re: criminal/custody

You are possibly looking at two different areas here. One is the criminal - whether the state will bring some type of criminal charges against you based upon the evidence presented by the juvenile office and the investigators. Second, is the juvenile case where the children have been taken away from you and/or their mother. You may even face a possible custody case or paternity case involving the children. Based upon your criminal history the best recommendation I can make is for you to hire an attorney to represent you. The attorney will need to look at your past history, the allegations that took the children away, and the investigation as it pertains to both you and the mother. I can't give you any details about what else to do as it is particular with the circumstances of your case. If you cannot afford to hire private counsel, the state should provide you with an attorney to represent you in the juvenile case and if there are criminal charges brought you should be able to obtain the public defender. If you can afford to hire private counsel, you will want to get one that can do all three areas - juvenile, criminal and family law. That way you shouldn't have to have but one attorney. Good luck to you.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/07, 4:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri