Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri

I had been with a friend who was shoplifting (guilty by association), I got a fine for $310. I agreed originally to pay the amount in full. I had someone in the family pass away, & I also had to move. I have a baby, whom comes to court with me. I went & spoke to the clerk, who told me she doubts the judge will work with me (I've never been in trouble or asked for an extension before). I'm due to see the judge on Wednesday (tomorrow). What is the best thing I can do before that? I don't want to be arrested while my daughter is there, but there is situations beyond my control. I am on a fixed income, so I can only pay so much. Please help.

Asked on 11/05/13, 4:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If you didn't participate in the shoplifting, you're probably not guilty. You can ask the judge to set the case over, so you can hire an attorney. A theft conviction can cause you problems later. If you can avoid the conviction, you probably should.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 11/06/13, 2:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri