Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

if the father of my child has custody and wants me to sign over my rights so that his wife can adopt my daughter and im not willing to do so is there any way that the court can force me to do so?

Asked on 7/20/13, 10:05 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If you're found to be unfit, the Court can terminate your parental rights against your will.. But, that is extremely rare, as the proof required is very hard. If you have an ongoing relationship with the child, and have not been accused if abuse, it is nearly impossible to involuntarily terminate parental rights. That may be why the father asked you to voluntarily surrender your rights.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 7/21/13, 2:48 am

Joe Hensley Hensley & Nicholas

No one can make you sign anything, but the court could terminate your parental rights wihtout your consent depending on the facts of the case. If those facts are present, you might be better off signing the consent forms because if your parental rights are terminated involuntarily, it can carry with it presumptions that you are an unfit parent, something you probably don't want if you have other children or are even in a relationship with someone who has children.

Whether they have the grounds to terminate your parental rights or not is something you need to talk to an attorney about face to face, not over the internet.

Read more
Answered on 7/21/13, 11:15 am
Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Both of the above responses are very good. If you are within any of the many jurisdictions in which I practice regularly, I might be able to offer my services to you. Please feel free to contact me for a free telephone consultation. I have been helping parents for the last thirty-five years.

Read more
Answered on 7/21/13, 2:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri