Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

My husband of 18 months left without a word. Promised to help pay bills that we are 3 months behind in. He was the home provider. My utilities and phone are now to be shut off. How do I prevent this from happening?

Asked on 6/11/13, 7:56 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Obviously, the simplest way is to pay those bills. This might require you to nitrite money, or seek public assistance. If you cannot get those bills paid, you need to negotiate an extension from each utility company. Since you've only been married fir eighteen months, you probably still have some resources from when you were single. If your husband doesn't reappear soon, you may need to go back to living how you did when you were single. This might require you to move in with family or friends.Obviously, you need to get a second and possibly a third job, to be able to pay for everything yourself.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 6/11/13, 8:42 am

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

I'm not sure that I follow the above response by an excellent attorney. But, the first thing you should do is to contact the utility companies directly, explain the situation, and ask them to set up a payment plan to avoid your utilities being shut off. Then, you should immediately consult with an attorney! If you are located in my area, I might be able to offer my services for a reasonable fee. Please feel free to contact me directly for a free telephone consultation.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/13, 4:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri