Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in Missouri

IPL burns

Severely burns on my face and cannot find a lawyer to take my case. What is going on? I had 8 to 10 weeks off of work. I have scares all over. I mean this is insane. These lawyers will not take a case unless they are going to make millions. What do I do? Help

Asked on 1/11/08, 6:18 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Spencer Farris The S.E. Farris Law Firm

Re: IPL burns

Your question doesn't give me enough info to advise you. What caused the burns? A lawsuit can only move forward if your injury was caused by someone's neglect, and an injury doesn't necessarily mean someone was at fault. I assume your injuries came from a health care setting. Healthcare professionals are not expected to be perfect, and they make mistakes. Only those mistakes which occur because the doctor didn't obey the "standard of care" are actionable-you can't sue if the doctor made the kind of mistake that a reasonable doctor would make under the circumstances, only the instances where the doctor didn't do what a reasonable doctor would have done.

Lawyers refuse cases for a lot of reasons. If the high cost of a suit outweighs the amount a jury would award for your damages, a reputable trial lawyer SHOULD reject the case.

You should ask a trial lawyer who specializes in medical negligence cases to look at your situation, but you will have to give more facts to get a helpful answer.

Read more
Answered on 1/13/08, 6:50 pm

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Re: IPL burns

I can not tell whether your case is worth enough money to justify the expense of attorney's fees, or, in other words, whether or not you will wind up with more money after paying an attorney his fee out of your settlement than you would wind up with if you proceeded without an attorney.

If you will call me at my office I will give you the contact information for an expert in the field of worker's compensation law, and he will either help you himself or help you find a good attorney. I look forward to hearing from you.

Read more
Answered on 1/12/08, 4:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in Missouri