Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Missouri

I am being sued by American Express for charges that were made without permission by a relative who says I signed documents for credit and gave my SSN. I believe he stole these documents and is quilty of fraud. I have filed a police report. While I signed some documents for him to start a business I do not remember signing for him to have an American Express card. If I lose this case it appears I will need to file bankruptcy. Can I request they put a lean on my house instead. The amount the suite is for is $50,000.

Asked on 4/07/10, 5:36 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Why don't you hire an attorney to defend the lawsuit? It will be far less expensive than filing Bankruptcy.

Read more
Answered on 4/12/10, 8:48 pm

Sean Santoro Santoro Law Office

If the charges are fraudulent, and you did not make them or profit by them, you may have a valid defense to this suit. I would suggest you hire an attorney ASAP to file an answer to this suit. Also, an attorney can file a claim for contribution from your relative if you are found to be liable. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this further.

Sean Santoro/Licensed in KS and MO

Read more
Answered on 4/13/10, 7:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Missouri