Legal Question in Sexual Harassment in Missouri

i was recently coerced into perfoming sexual acts in order to keep my job. i contacted the police, but the burden of proof falls on me. i cannot remember specific days. i gave them all the info i could. i dont know what else to do. nothing is being done, i have bipolar and severe depression which scientifically hinders my memory of dates they require. they have video camers, they are just not willing to sift thru them to get the info. what can i do?

Asked on 2/16/11, 12:10 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Curran Curran Law Firm

If the police won't help you, you need an attorney right away, because that's probably the only way that you can force the preservation of important evidence. If you think there's video of an important event, you need to make sure that your attorney demands that the person in charge of the video cameras preserve this evidence, before it gets recorded over or otherwise erased. In addition, you need to file timely complaints with additional governmental entities (the Missouri Commission on Human Rights and the EEOC). And "timely" means pretty quickly. You don't have a long period of time to wait, so don't hesitate.

I may be able to help you with this, if you like. I�m not allowed to put a phone number in here, but you can get it from my website.

Please be aware that the statements and opinions provided above are just a broad informational service to the general public. Since this reply is based upon an incomplete description of facts, this email can not used as a substitute for legal advice from a qualified and fully-informed attorney. Also, these communications are intended for use by the public, and this email does not constitute a confidential communication nor does it create an attorney-client relationship with Curran Law Firm or any of its members.

Rob Curran

Curran Law Firm

3516 South National Avenue

Springfield, MO 65807

Read more
Answered on 2/16/11, 11:01 am
Michael Harvath Harvath Law Offices-INJURY case representation

Hi. I am a Missouri injury attorney that handles harassment claims in the employment context. I am sorry to hear about the distress that you have had to go through because of these actions at your place of employment.

Although complaints do need to be filed with the Missouri Commission on Human Rights and the EEOC, ultimately, a civil cause of action should be filed against your employer. However, it is a requirement that the complaints are first filed with the agencies above. If the acts can be established by evidence, you are entitled to compensation to account for all the pain and suffering that you have had to endure, and for any emotional distress that has resulted from these actions.

It is important not to be fearful of pursuing a claim against your employer, and you need to know that there are laws (which can be explained) to protect you from any retaliatory actions by your employer. People in your situation are sometimes anxious about coming forward. However, if you choose not to do anything, the offending party will, most likely, continue to engage in this type of behavior, and will likely find new victims in the future. As I mentioned, there are laws in place to protect people in your situation, and Missouri law entitles you to compensation to account for all that you have had to undergo as a result of the offensive actions.

I can be reached, for your convenience, by e-mail at [email protected]. Also, our firm website is: Thank you.

NOTE: This answer is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. The use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege between the user and the attorney responding.

Read more
Answered on 2/17/11, 12:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Sexual Harassment Law questions and answers in Missouri