Legal Question in Tax Law in Missouri


Must taxes be filed for a deceased person?

Asked on 1/30/09, 4:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ronald Cappuccio Ronald J. Cappuccio, J.D., LL.M.(Tax)

Re: Taxes

Yes, taxes must be filed. First, Federal and State Income taxes must be filed for the year of death. Even if the income was small, you will want to file Income Tax Returns to start the Statute of Limitations for assessment and collection of taxes.

If there is income while the Estate is being administered, the Estate will need to file Income Tax Returns. Also, Federal and State Estate Tax returns will need to be filed, depending upon the size of the Estate.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio

Read more
Answered on 1/31/09, 1:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Missouri