Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Nebraska

Easement Rights to Landlocked Property

My family owns land that is landlocked. We had 13 acres and sold all but 7.1. The County Assessors Office told me that when the 6.9 acres were sold that there were easement rights. How do I go about getting easement rights to my property?

Asked on 3/21/01, 2:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

Re: Easement Rights to Landlocked Property

When you sold the 6.9 acres, did you use a title company, or an attorney? If so, chances are good that your easements for ingress and egress were actually included on the deed transferring the property as well as being mentioned on any title insurance documents. You mention "the County Assessor", but I would suggest that you check with your county Recorder of Deeds to view or obtain a copy of the deed that was actually recorded. If the easements are on there, you may rely upon them in gaining access to your property. If not, I believe that you may still have a legal right to such easements, but you may need to take some action to perfect that right. Please feel free to call me at 314-727-2822 for a free consultation. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 5/26/01, 9:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Nebraska