Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

The father of my unborn baby gave me an ultimatum to move with him or he'll take me to court to get custody of my baby. I'm only 3months along and his family is very well off and i don't think i can afford a lawyer at this time. How should i proceed?

Asked on 12/01/10, 10:40 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Wright The Wright Law Offices, PC

Several options are available to you:

1. Move to a high child support state and establish residency before the baby is born so that all custody orders and child support orders will be resolved in that state.


2. Abort the child to prevent 18 years of hardship on all three of you


3. Put the child up for adoption


4. Get married to the guy prior to birth to establish better rights

Read more
Answered on 12/06/10, 4:35 pm

Marshal Willick Willick Law Group

Until there is a child, there is no paternity case (any such filed will be put immediately on hold). You don't have to go anywhere, with anyone. Don't be bullied. You really should seek consultation with competent counsel. If you really cannot afford counsel, the local Pro Bono provider is the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, which can be called at 702-386-1070 (or see their information on the web at,com_jcalpro/Itemid,3/extmode,view/extid,15/). Those that take pro bono cases take them after they have been screened, and assigned, by Legal Aid. The Reduced Fee Panel sponsored by the State Bar can be reached at 702-382-2200. Additionally, there are free consultations offered on Thursdays at the self-help center; volunteer attorneys provide 15-minute consultations, for free, on family law questions. For those that wish to attempt self-representation, forms are available at the Clark County self-help center website, at Documents/self_help_supportingdocs.html.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/10, 9:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada