Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

I have had full custody of both of my kids for the past two years. Their mother has never paid any kind of financial support. Every time I ask for child support, she says she is going to try and get the kids back 50/50. The kids don't want to live there so I just let it go. We went to mediation and decided on me having full custody, but did not discuss child support. If I take her to court now to set up child support, will I get back pay child support for the years she hasn't been paying? Even though no amount of child support was ever set? Thank you in advance for your help. -Father of two

Asked on 11/21/13, 9:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marshal Willick Willick Law Group

What you describe should not have happened -- the court should have said SOMETHING about support when ordering custody, per the relevant statute. I'd suggest starting with the court order and reading it carefully. Assuming you are correct, Nevada law generally allows reaching backward in time 4 years to assess support when no prior order was made. For background, see:

Of course, for an evaluation of your specific case, you should schedule an appointment for a consultation to go over all the facts, circumstances, and options.

Read more
Answered on 11/21/13, 2:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada