Legal Question in Family Law in Nevada

I live in Nevada with my two year old daughter. Her father was a one night stand (though we did have a DNA test), but has only seen her once since she was born. There has been no custody agreement, he's paid no child support, and I've received no assistance from the state or federally. He hasn't tried to see her at all. We weren't in contact.

I am in a long-term relationship and have been since my daughter was 4 months old. We want to get married, so that my partner can legally adopt my child.

The father lives in Idaho. He recently contacted me to let me know that he wants visitation / joint-custody with my daughter, though he hasn't filed anything yet.

Does he have any case?

Asked on 5/09/13, 4:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Courtney John Peter Lee, Ltd.

Directly answering your question, he probably does have a case, although it may be rather weak with respect to joint custody, and a little stronger with respect to visitation. Unless the court finds that he would be unfit as a parent, it is likely that he will be able to obtain visitation rights, however, he will have to start paying child support. Perhaps the prospect of having to pay child support for the next 16 years will discourage him. At an initial consultation, an attorney will be able to give you an estimate of the amount he will have to pay over the next 16 years, and you may use this figure to negotiate with your baby's father.

Read more
Answered on 5/10/13, 9:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nevada