Legal Question in Personal Injury in Nevada

Here's my question- my husband is self employed and he dayworks for local ranchers. He got bucked off his horse while working for a rancher on his property. The ranchers insurance says they will only pay $10,000 on medical bills but we have upwards of $50,000 in bills. He was lifeflighted and stayed in icu with massive concussion with hemmoriging on the brain. Is it feasible to sue the ranchers insurance company?

Asked on 7/02/13, 8:45 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

David Otto David Otto & Affiliates, PC

The ranchers insurance says they will only pay $10,000 on medical bills but we have upwards of $50,000 in bills.

If your husband was working when he was injured, then worker's compensation should be available to him from the ranch. If the ranch had worker's compensation insurance, which it must have by law, then there should be no $10,000 on medical bills. If the ranch did not have workers compensation insurance, and your husband was injured while working, the ranch can be found guilty of a crime. Then the ranch would be forced to do two things - 1. Pay all of your husband's medical bills - and - 2. pay a fine to the State of Nevada.

I suggest you negotiate your medical bills to zero by contacting the medical providers and telling them to go after the ranch's insurance only. You should also contact the Nevada Attorney General's Workers Compensation Fraud Unit and inform them. Do not, under any circumstances threaten a criminal prosecution against the ranch if the bills aren't taken care of.

You could also sue the ranch directly, though, based on the fact that your husband fell from a horse, that is not the best avenue. I firmly believe that the ranch is required by law to carry workers compensation insurance. There may however be an exception for ranch workers. Ask the Workers Compensation Fraud Unit what you should do. You can find the Nevada Attorney General online.

Read more
Answered on 7/02/13, 10:24 pm

Joel Selik


You should see an attorney who may be abel to collect compensation. You should get an attorney before you make more calls, file reports, etc.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/13, 8:47 am
John Courtney John Peter Lee, Ltd.

There are several attorneys who practice in the area of personal injury that will give you and your husband a free consultation. If you cannot find one on your own, contact the Nevada State Bar and they'll help you find an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/13, 10:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Nevada