Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in New Jersey

traffic nuisance and quality of life issue

I bought a house on a narrow street near the beach. I found out this street is a major shortcut for the island. It's a real nuisance, the street often gets backed up. In the summer the noise due to the cars waiting for the light is unbearable.

My neighbors are also unhappy and complained to the police about excessive speeds, noise and parked cars that have been hit. They have come out to monitor the situation.

The next street over was the original shortcut years ago, the residents managed to get the traffic rerouted to our street. So, we went to the police to mentioned that there are wider, less populated streets that are more appropriate for the shortcut, but there is no action.

This situation is a nuisance and our quality of life is suffering. We often wake up because of the street noise, our house shakes when all the school busses and trucks pass by (our water main recently cracked due to the vibration and there are more cracks in the foundation). Most important, it's a safety issue, cars drive too fast as they try to make the light (though the police feel it's not fast enough). I fear for the safety of my children.

Do we have any rights to make our street safer and our quality of life acceptable?

Asked on 2/19/02, 3:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Aspinwall Charles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLC

Re: traffic nuisance and quality of life issue

The use and operation of city streets is exclusively the provence of the City Counsel. Consultation with an official of the city Street Department would be wise before going before the counsel.

Read more
Answered on 2/19/02, 5:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in New Jersey