Legal Question in Construction Law in New Jersey

I entered into a signed contract with a client to remodel their home and make some additions. I was referred to them by their family member. a few weeks down the line and halfway done I get a cease and desist letter from an attorney and asking me to refund a huge portion of the deposit back. No issues at all with my work. They claim to have gotten word from municipality that work cant be done which is false its a bedroom in the basement and is done all the time. I want to know if I should lawyer up, and what my options are.

Asked on 5/17/15, 6:21 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

Yes you should and that's pretty much your primary option. Call us at 1-855-9-JEFLAW to discuss

Read more
Answered on 5/17/15, 7:21 am
Ronald Cappuccio Ronald J. Cappuccio, J.D., LL.M.(Tax)

First, did you obtain a building permit? If not, it could be big trouble. In NJ, unless there are 2 methods of egress, you typically cannot use the basement as a bedroom.You should get a lawyer and work with your customer to figure out the issue.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio

Read more
Answered on 5/17/15, 12:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in New Jersey