Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New Jersey

How to Hold a College Responsible for Non-Payment of Scholarship Money

My question is this: if a college posts info on a scholarship available to all applicants can they also deny that same scholarship on the basis of an unwritten policy of theirs without providing written copy of their policy?

My school offers a full scholarship awarded automatically to all students who's SAT score is 1400 or above, whose high school GPA was over 3.5 and who enter the school as a fall semester freshman. My store is that I went to a different school for one semester prior to going to the school in question. My SAT scores and GPA fulfill the requirements and I technically entered my current school as a fall semester freshman. Now I am being told that I am not eligible because I checked the transfer box though nowhere does it state ANYWHERE that transfer students are inelligible (I am not using any old credits toward my current degree and I will be on campus for 8 full semesters). I asked the school to provide written verification of such a policy (because it is my belief that if a policy is not written down it does not legally exist). I am ready to puruse civil litigation--do I have a legal ground to stand on? Pls advise.

Asked on 10/27/04, 6:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Albin Alan S. Albin, Attorney at Law

Re: How to Hold a College Responsible for Non-Payment of Scholarship Money

You might have a legal cause of action. But that would depend on the particular facts and circumstances, and specifically, what the actual criteria for receiving the scholarship are; as well as the reason the school rejected your application.

Your own question indicates that only students entering as "fall semester freshmen" are eligible for the scholarship. You indicate that when you entered the school, you had already completed a semester of school work, i.e., arguably you could be regarded as a "spring semester freshman."

I think at this point you need to retain an attorney to discuss your legal rights, obligations, and options. Please contact me, see below, if you wish to discuss retaining my services.

Read more
Answered on 10/28/04, 10:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New Jersey