Legal Question in Immigration Law in New Jersey

I have a sister who lives in USA for more than 20 years. I have three cousins, too.

My sister is married and they all are already american citizens.

They lived in a great town house in Westfield, NJ.

I would like to know how can I apply to be an american citizen, too, like my sister.

What legal rigths I have in this case?


Asked on 7/27/12, 11:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian D. Lerner Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A Professional Corporation


Work Permit

You will need to have an employer agree to sponsor you for a job. It does not need to be a full-time position, but it should be related to either your degree or your experience. Our firm can do the entire petition. Once we begin processing and get it filed, it normally takes about three to six months to get the approval.  If you want a work permit in an expedited manner, you can take advantage of the Premium Processing program at the USCIS. This will allow you to have the expedited answer in less than one month. You will need to add $1,500.00 to the cost below for Premium Processing. 


Otherwise, it takes many years to do a sibling petition. However, one could at least be started.

Family Petition

A family petition must be prepared based upon the relationship of the petitioner and the beneficiary. These petitions do take some time in order for the visa number to become current. However, if you do not start the petition now, then the priority date will not be set and the wait will simply be longer. 


Read more
Answered on 8/08/12, 6:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New Jersey