Legal Question in Traffic Law in New Jersey

nj surcharges

i was wondering since i have lived in nc since 1990 and turned in my nj dl in 1990 how the state of nj can suspend and demand that i pay an dmv surchage from 1991 a year after i left the state and have no address there plus demand a restoration fee to nj to reinstate my nj dl which i dont even have nor an address in nj which i dont even have which would cause me then to have 2 dl one from nj and one from nci snt 15 years a long time to try and get money from someone who hasnt even lived in the state since i have had a nc dl for the last 15 years and wen i left the state of nj in 1990 and my license was returend by the state of nc to nj being perfectly valid at the time how they can decide to suspend and demand reinstation of a dl to a person that has no address or any connection to that state anymore.

Asked on 11/14/05, 1:31 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Gleaner Robert A. Gleaner, P.C.

Re: nj surcharges

The State of NJ can demand this because they believe that they are right. You now need to bring evidence to them to establish that they are wrong. If you cannot do this in person (because it appears that you now live in NC), then you will need to retain a NJ lawyer to resolve the issue. Keep in mind that this advice is based purely on the little bit of information that you have given to me. There certainly may be other factors that would change my opinion. Further, no one can rely on advice from an attorney who has not been retained. Since it appears that you have not retained an attorney, you may want to contact an attorney (either me or someone else) to discuss your matter in more detail. Only then will you be able to rely on the advice. If you call me, mention Law Guru and your first one hour consultation will be free. Good luck! Rob Gleaner

Read more
Answered on 11/14/05, 8:19 am
Ronald Aronds Law Office of Ronald Aronds, LLC

Re: nj surcharges

I would have to look at your certified New Jersey Driver's Abstract along with the notices of suspension and DMV mailing lists to give you an answer to this question. There may actually be a valid explanation, but without looking at your abstract I can't begin to guess what it is. As to the 15 years being excessive, it really isn't. I have represented two other people from North Carolina who used to live in NJ over twenty years ago, and I still had to go to court on their 20+ year old tickets.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail please feel free to contact me. There is never any charge for simply talking to me about a case.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours, Ronald Aronds, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 11/14/05, 11:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in New Jersey