Legal Question in Workers Comp in New Jersey

Workman's Compensation

I am a self employed dumptruck driver. I have a S-corp. I was told by my insurance company and the state that I did not need to have workman's comp. unless I hired a driver, that I didn't need it for myself. However, today I talked to a company I've been hauling for and they tell me that when they pay their invoices they deduct WC because I do not have my own. I explained that I was told I didn't need it and the company said ''That's true but when you enter commercial property, we must cover you''. They NEVER mentioned this when I started hiring for them and I work and bill them as an independent driver. Please advise.

Asked on 2/15/07, 4:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


Re: Workman's Compensation

my advise to you is that you need the Comp. Insurance. If you get hurt, you are screwed. Comp will pay your meds and any disability that you may get while working. They are doing you a favor, however, if you are independent it may not matter. get you own coverage or get soemthing that say that the company that you dleiver for will cover you in the event of a problem

Read more
Answered on 2/15/07, 4:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in New Jersey