Legal Question in DUI Law in New Mexico

My husband went to renew his license and found out he has a warrant in new Mexico for failure to appear on a DUI when he was 18 he is 35 now and has never been contacted where should we go from here? He has now lost his cdl and he is a truck driver we have lived in tx for the past fifteen yes. Any advice would be appreciated

Asked on 1/03/12, 7:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Aspinwall Charles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLC

The best way to settle this problem is for him to appear in NM to answer the bench warrant in court. If he does, the warrant will be dismissed after payment of costs, and disposition of the DWI charge can proceed. The consequences are dire for a DWI conviction, so his case should be reviewed by a legal professional to determine what defenses, if any, he has to the charge. Sometimes everything can be done by mail and electronic filing, but although he wouldn't have to come to NM, the process takes much longer and is more expensive. His best bet is to contact a DWI lawyer in NM by phone, make arrangements for representation, and deal with the problem as best he can. Until he does, the problem will follow him for the rest of his life and prevent him from ever again obtaining a CDL.

Read more
Answered on 1/03/12, 9:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in New Mexico