Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

No one has custody of the children and I didn't go to metation because the father was harassing me. Now I have to go to show cause. How do I beat this

Asked on 2/25/13, 12:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos

Tell the judge why you didn't go. When you filed your case (you don't say - is a a paternity case?) you should have gotten a temporary domestic order (TDO). You can request an order to show cause to hold him in contempt of that order. If there is no TDO then you can file for a restraining order against father. The forms to do that are on line in a lot of the courts in New Mexico.

I can't guarantee you can "beat this" but remember the judge is interested in getting the custody settled and not in punishing people, so promise to go to the mediation - and then go.

Read more
Answered on 2/25/13, 4:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico