Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

hou mach I have to pay?

what I need to start the divorce?

can I have proteccion of him?

how can be divided the propertys?

Asked on 9/22/09, 1:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos

It costs $137 to file. You can get an affidavit of indigency if you are indigent and the fee may be waived. You have to submit the affidavit to a judge before you file to get the wiaver.

You need to file several documents. If you go to and then to the first judicial district web site you can get packets that have all the forms you need to file, with instructions. The website is down for maintenance today so I can't get you the link. You will have to change the heading on the forms to your judicial district (you're in Sunland Park I guess, I don't know what district that is).

Included in the packet are forms that let you get an order for interim support and a temporary order of protection that is like a restraining rder to keep either of you from harrassing the other or running off with assets.

If you and your ex can agree on how to divide the property you put your agreement into a settlement agreement that you file with the court. If you can't agree the court will decide for you. Same goes for kids if you have any.

If you have questions e-mail me and I'll send you the link to the web site when it comes back up.

Read more
Answered on 9/27/09, 2:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico