Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

Can I get in trouble for letting a runaway stay with me. She isn't safe where she is but i dont want to go to jail.

Asked on 6/17/20, 8:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos

I would be extremely careful and act quickly. As you suspect there are mine fields out there. You should consult a local lawyer immediately and explain the circumstances - you haven't given me enough information to advise you. A lawyer will probably advise you to take some action to either regularize your custody of the child (kinship guardianship, etc.) or report it to CYFD - Child Protective Services (part of CYFD). You may have a duty to tell her parents she is with you. Every person has a statutory duty to report child abuse or neglect to CYFD. There is a statute making interference with child custody a crime under certain circumstances. You are at risk of the child making some report against you, especially If you and the child are the only persons in your home. Act quickly.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/20, 4:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico