Legal Question in Family Law in New York

child support

I filed a petition for a modification of child support - we signed an ''opting out'' agreement 11 years ago. I was seeking an update of the order, and help with the medical expenses for our daughter who is mentally ill. He has hired an attorney and is fighting the petition. Now we have disclosure and discovery and things I have know idea about. I cannot afford an attorney. Is this going to be worth the fight or should I just drop the matter?

Asked on 10/01/08, 6:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Colleluori The Law Offices of Anthony J. Colleluori & Associates PLLC

Re: child support

It is absolutely worth the fight. First if you cannot afford an attorney, contact the New York State Bar Association to see if someone on their pro bono panel will take your case. Also your little girl should have a lawyer in this matter and the court should provide her a guardian ad litem.

If neither of these attacks work, contact the closest law school and see if there is a law clinic there that can help.

Do not be afraid to go to court and see if any lawyers there may be willing to help,and try to get him to pay the legal fees.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 10/02/08, 12:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York