Legal Question in Banking Law in New York

We were in a situation, where our downpayment on a home was returned to us. Attorney A sent the check to our attorney. This was back in Feb. For several months through email correspondence, we received numerous excuses on why we have not received the check. On May 5th, we contacted Attorney A, who provided us with a copy of the cashed check back in Feb! The kicker is that OUR attorney forged my wife's signature and deposited to what appears to be his non-escrow account. We were not able to reach him but left a note at his house stating we were going to the police. We were provided with a certified check the next day. I know this cannot be legal and who knows if he has done this before. Although since we received the money back, there has to be some course of action. We were thinking about filing a complaint to the bar. We figured since we got our money back to not file a police report. We have copies of all the emails/excuses sent to us- plus copy of all checks involved. Is reporting him to the bar- the best course of action?

Asked on 5/10/11, 4:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott Ziegler Ziegler, Ziegler & Associates LLP

You should most certainly contact the NY Bar. Here is a link that references the number to call, based on your location.

Read more
Answered on 5/11/11, 6:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Banking Law questions and answers in New York