Legal Question in Business Law in New York

Im getting my hip hop producer name trademarked. Should i get a state or federal trademark? I will not be moving outside of new york. My music will eventually be national. But I will be cunducting business only in NY.

Asked on 9/06/13, 8:41 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Frank Natoli Natoli-Lapin, LLC

If you plan on being bigger than just a local act, then you should consider protecting your name on the federal level. You would not want to book some big engagement in another state under your name only to get a letter from a lawyer saying that your name infringes on his client.

As noted in my last response, I am happy to discuss it with you in more detail so you understand what is involved.

Best regards,



Read more
Answered on 9/06/13, 8:45 am

Kevin Connolly Kevin J. Connolly

Trademarks are federal. The state law is a waste of time.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/13, 8:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in New York