Legal Question in Constitutional Law in New York

Can citizens and business owners of cities with riots and looting/destruction etc, sue the state/city government? Can they petition for federal support for the police, fire, emergency responders, hospitals etc? Protection fir their home/ business/property?

What would it take to enact the insurrection act? Isn’t there enough to call for it?

Asked on 9/05/20, 10:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

I think the answer is 'no', because an individual business or person would not have "standing" to bring a lawsuit as you've described. It's a good question.

I'm not sure what you mean specifically by "isn't there enough" with respect to invoking the Insurrection Act. In any event, whether or not there is "enough" is a decision made by the President.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 9/07/20, 6:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Constitutional Law questions and answers in New York