Legal Question in DUI Law in New York

what to do

my spouse was pulled over for a seatbelt check, during which the officer found a extremly small amount of marajuana (1/2 joint). does he have any rights? does he need to hire a lawyer or will they appoint one to him?

Asked on 11/08/06, 4:41 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Robert R. Groezinger GroezingerLaw P.C.

Re: what to do

Most likely she will require one.

Good Luck


Read more
Answered on 11/08/06, 4:44 pm
Jason Stern Law Offices of Jason Stern

Re: what to do

If your spouse cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for him. If he has a job, he will probably need to retain his own. He should not make any statements to the police, the DA, or the judge other than pleading "Not Guilty" in court. Depending on where you are in New York State, I could either represent him or recommend an experienced criminal attorney to assist you. Please contact me via email if you wish to obtain a referral. Include your spouse's full name, address, and contact information.

Read more
Answered on 11/08/06, 4:54 pm
Carlos Gonzalez Gonzalez Legal Associates PLLC

Re: what to do

the Court will appoint an attorney for arraignments, then depending on income he might be entitled to an appointed attorney as well.

However, you should think about hiring a private attorney which would have more of a reason to fight this case... There exists a potential to argue that the stop was improper and the search itself improper depending on the facts.

My firm regularly handles this type of case, feel free to contact me regarding this matter. 2127098303

Read more
Answered on 11/08/06, 5:50 pm
Robert Evans Robert S. Evans esq.

Re: what to do

There may be some problem with the stop and search, this can be litigated. I do these cases on a regular basis, therefore if you wish you may call my office @7188340087 bfor a free phone consultation.

Read more
Answered on 11/09/06, 12:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in New York