Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I got my divorce papers today and my husband called me told me i cant leave new york until its over with cause we have kids on the case but we was not married here in new york we was married in tampa fl .i need to know is true i cant leave new york city

Asked on 4/02/12, 10:42 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Steve Brodsky Esq.

The answer has nothing to do with where you were married. You do not need to be in NY unless you are under a court order to the contrary, or unless you need to appear in court. New York Divorce Lawyer

Read more
Answered on 4/02/12, 10:52 am
John O'Donnell Attorney at Law

Based upon the limited information that you provided, it appears your spouse may be referring to his right to see the children while the divorce action is pending. By moving from New York you may effectively prevent him from seeing his children. If this is the case, he may seek the court's assistance to protect his rights. I would strongly recommend that you consult with an attorney if you have not already done so. Please feel free to call me at (212) 786-7539 to schedule a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/12, 11:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York